Thursday, March 29, 2007

Untitled

You know you live in the right country when no matter how much fun you had traveling elsewhere, you're relieved to be back. I love the good old U.S. of A. My bank has already given me the provisional credit for my 120 Euros that the Spanish ATM ate. This is what happens when people don't take ciestas -- things get done!

It's cute how proud the Germans are about their efficiency and engineering prowess, sometimes almost to the point of being delusional. I flew Lufthansa from SFO to MUN. The pilot made sure to inform us that tha Airbus XXX we were flying was the longest commercial aircraft in the world, "even longer than the Boeing 747!". Good job, Airbus! And on my way from BCN to FRA, it was clear that our flight was running late. But the flight attendant kept saying, "We're expecting an on-time arrival". I was like, just because you keep saying it, doesn't actually make it true! I have a watch!

In case you didn't know, when sitting in an airplane, humans cannot distinguish between the airplane going through turbulence, and a child kicking the back of your seat. On the 11-hour flight from FRA to SFO, I had 10 hours of "turbulence". I politely asked the child to stop kicking the back of my seat. It was about as effective as politely asking the weather god to change the weather.

I think I'm getting old. I can't believe how much traveling is taking out of me these days. It seems that I use to be nonstop for a long time before really feeling the effects. But I spent the entire day yesterday sleeping. I'd only been on the road for a little less than 3 weeks. I'm relieved to not have to travel for some time. Lots of things to get done before moving to New York for the summer though.

No comments: