Sunday, March 18, 2007

When to Blog

It occurred to me as I was drinking my morning latte and reading Ph.D. Comics that this really is the only reasonable time to blog -- I'm hardly awake, I need to be awake, I'm drinking my latte in order to become awake, I can't really do anything productive other than attempting to read New York Times to enrich my mind but eventually finding Ph.D. Comics more entertaining... Well, you get the idea. So this is the time to blog!

I'm back from Vancouver. See photos here. I really love Vancouver. I do I do I do. If Vancouver were a man, I'd marry Vancouver and have babies with Vancouver, and the babies would be beautiful and smart and grow up to get their Bachelor's from MIT and then go on to win Nobel's and Field's metals and Miss. American titles ;) Here's the thing I've come to terms with -- I grew up in a city of 15 million, I spent 9 years in Boston, 3 in Atlanta. I'm a city girl. I like being in a big city. I like having different, vibrant neighborhoods instead of just one semi-vibrant Main Street. I like people from different countries coming together to cook me different kinds of food. I like living in a fashionable city. I like living in a city where people come to make something of themselves. I like the energy of big cities -- well, certain big cities. That's all. Nothing against small cities, villages, or farm houses. I just prefer big cities.

And I love Vancouver additionally for its Stanley Park and the amazing views of the snow-capped mountains. I really like mountains. I like looking at them from afar more than I like climbing them. I like the high-level views, okay? Stanley Park is also fantastic for jogging. I love all the little Japanese ladies in their matching polyester track suits -- they're like old little Asian Gwen Stefanie's.

I'm leaving again for Barcelona in a couple of days. This is a whirlwind traveling month for me. I hardly have time to unpack. In fact, I'm not sure I really will unpack... But Barcelona should be fun.

I invested in a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones yesterday. "Invest" is the keyword -- these things are damn expensive! Shouldn't peace and quiet be a right, rather than a luxury??? Ah well. Christoph promised me that my productivity will shoot up because of these damn headphones. Well, it'd better! Otherwise it's a bummer of an investment.

After our little shopping foray at the outlet mall in Woodburn, OR where I dropped $350 on the headphones and Christoph became the domestic diva and purchased a coffee machine and coffee and wines and jams and various things that go into your mouth, we decided to go into Portland for a little impromptu trip. It turned out to be really fun. We just walked around the downtown area. They have this enormous Saturday Market that was fun to go through. I like Portland. It's not a huge city, but it's cute. We had an early dinner at this place with a huge crab on top of the building, and then, had some fantastic chocolate at Cacao Drink Chocolate. Oh it was good! They had this drinkable chocolate made with dark chocolate, spiked with pepper, mixed with milk and coconut milk. So good!

Okay. Latte's done. The end.

No comments: