Sunday, April 1, 2007

French Press and Mukka Express

I was actually trying to *simplify* my kitchen when I made these two purchases...

It all started with the French press. All I've had for a few years now is a Krupp's espresso machine. It's a steam-driven little thing, and it works relatively well. I'm not terribly picky about my espresso -- not *nearly* as picky as I am about my alcohol -- so the Krupp has served me well. While the latte's and cappucinos tasted ok, I can't seem to be able to make decent tasting Americano. I know it's just espresso with hot water. But whenever I added hot water into the shots of espresso the Krupp made, it just tasted like crap. I think it's because the Krupp always burns the espresso just a little bit. Now if you add milk to it, as I normally do, the milk masks the burnt taste. But if you just add hot water, the burnt taste really lingers around. So I wanted something I can make just regular coffee with, for those times when I want the kick without the milk (or soy milk, in my case). I've been impressed by the simpliciy of the French press. And it doesn't take much counter space -- counter space is at a premium in my kitchen. So I set out and bought the
Bodum Shin Bistro. It's a pretty impressive little thing. All you do is put some really coarsely ground coffee on the bottom, and mix it with hot, but not boiling, water. Wait 4 minutes. Press the screen down, and voila, you're done!

A confluence of events led me to my second purchase, the Mukka Express.

Event 1: Vicky has been using the Bialetti Moka Express for making espresso for as long as I've known her. And that's what we did in Barcelona.

Event 2: In conversation with Martin, I found out he uses the Moka to make espresso, as well. I've seen the guy drink 3 shots of espresso in one sitting, so I figured he knows his espresso pretty well. However, Martin gave a rather negative review of the Mukka Express, the cappuccino/latte making version of the simpler Moka Express. Reviews on the internet about the Mukka Express are quite mixed, as well. But my impression is that the only people complaining are people who are not mechanically inclined (read: can't screw the top/bottom parts together correctly), or can't seem to follow directions very well.

Event 3: I am on a "simplicity" kick, I found the idea of a simple little stove-top replacement of my Krupp's electrically-powered, steam-driven thing rather appealing.

Event 4: I happen to be talking to Michal Young, the U of O resident coffee expert, at the department Happy Hour Friday. I made some comments about my steam-driven Krupp's machine, and Michal said that the Bialetti for sure makes better espresso than the Krupp, because the steam-driven machines need to run the water way too hot to get enough steam -- I guess that explains the burnt taste in my espresso!

Event 5: The final event that set my buying spree in motion was that the Mukka Express was on sale at Bed Bath & Beyond for $30 off its regular price.

So I plunked down $59.99 and bought the thing. My experiences so far have been *very* positive. I made three pots on Sunday -- it is advised that you throw away the first three pots, because it takes that many times to "temper" the pot well. But honestly, they were quite drinkable. But if you're serious about your cappucino/latte, you might want to temper the thing with cheaper beans -- I realized after the three throw-away pots that I'd just tossed 6 shots worth of Peet's French Roast. The foam the machine makes is quite impressive, and I must say, the espresso does not taste burnt at all!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just got this pot and I'm trying to hunt down if I can make the coffee without the milk?

I was after just the plain Moka pot for Xmas, but ended up with this. If it can do so without the milk, then bonus, as I'll definetely make cappucinos in this as well.

I'm currently using a Krups steam machine as well, so I'm glad your comments on this are positive.

Telecom Advocate said...

I just got one too and have the same question - have you figured out whether it is OK to use the Mukka with coffee only and no milk>

Unknown said...

I am also interested to know if you can use the Mukka to make black coffee, no milk. Would love if someone knows!

Shan Shan said...

I just made "Americano" with the Mukka, using water on the top portion, and the "latte" option by popping out the top cap already (so it doesn't try to foam the water). It worked pretty well.

ER said...

Regarding the above question about making black coffee:
I now (almost) solely use my Mukka Express to make espressos, the pressure valve makes enough pressure buildup for a decent bit of delicious crema, something an ordinary Moka pot lacks. The only equivalent I have seen (made by Bialetti as well) is the Brikka, which I haven't tried but seems very appealing as well. However, the Brikka does not have the option to steam milk so if you want the best of both worlds you can't go wrong with the Mukka express!

Make sure you try to make a coffee without pouring any milk in the top part - it is delicious!

Sizzling LEO said...

This is really fantastic work friend..The Way in which You represent this blog is awesome.I really appreciate your work. Keep it up in future. Chefs Smooth Automatic Electric Opener