Tuesday, April 17, 2007

T - 12 days

Count down to the marathon begins. I've been sick for a week, and finally it's letting up. My cough is almost all gone. I went for a short 5-miler tonight and felt pretty good -- Missy Elliot sets a good beat to running ;) I hope somebody will be spinning some Missy on the Marathon route... I don't know why I'm nervous. I've done all the training I'm suppose to. I missed last weekend's 9-miler. But that shouldn't be a big deal, since I ran a pretty hard 5.2-miler in Sunday's relay. I'm healthy and injury free. I know it's gonna hurt, but I should be able to do this.

I've gotten serious about eating well this week. I'm hydrating myself like Oregon is running out of water. I've cut down my wine consumption. I'm hitting the salad bar like salad is the new black. And I haven't had any dairy -- usually I cheat and have diary and pop my lactase pills. But not this week. Not even goat milk cheese. I'm simply not risking it.

Okay I think I'm psyching myself out...

1 comment:

Arie said...

Good luck ;)

Probably redundant, but some pieces of advice:

- eat a lot of sugar-rich food in the week before the marathon. You'll loose the additional weight during the marathon anyway and it extends the time that you can run while burning sugars instead of fat.

- check what kind of food is provided to you during the marathon and bring your own if needed. For example, if they provide bananas, check beforehand if your stomach can handle them while running.

- I heard that "wijngums" (ask Martin for a translation) are a cheap replacement for expensive energy gels, but I did not test either of them.

And I guess that being nervous is normal. At least, I went three times to the toilet to pee in the hour before the start ;-)